Friday, July 26, 2013

Always Learning

 
   I am entering into my first adventure into blogging, so bare with me as I figure it out.  But as I am  trying to figure out where to list my name, the blog name, the html, and everything else that goes into posting my thoughts online; I can't help but see the connection to my first couple years as an administrator.  I am pretty computer savvy, yet as you know every time you use a new system or program there is a learning curve.  When I think of my development as an Assistant Principal I realize that as I went through my classes I learned the "law", "finances", and "methodology" to being and administrator, yet when I walked in the door of the school there was so much I needed to learn still.  Great that I know the "law" but did I know the districts teacher's contract?  I'm glad I understood how schools receive money from taxes but what account do I take the money out of for soccer socks?  Yeah we envisioned our school climate we wanted to create but how do I get these 100 professionals to follow me and believe in my vision when I might be asking more of them that ever before?
     Starting my 3rd year as Assistant Principal I know more than I did 3 years ago and everyday I realize I still have a lot to learn.  But I am OK with that because there are a few things I am sure of:
1.  I don't know everything but I am able to learn what I don't know.
2.  As long as I am consistent with my vision and my actions are consistent with my vision then my vision will start to become created.
3.  Patience is key!  To quote my boss, "Is this a hill you are willing to die on?"  That one statement alone helped me see the importance of patience.
4.  Finally, as long as I always do what I think is best for children I can be at peace with my work.
I think it is apparent I don't claim to have all the answers and we will see if I can figure out the final stages of posting this for anyone to read but that is fine, because when I stop learning I will stop living.  Whether it is how to post a blog or how to lead a building there is nothing that I can't learn.

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts, Ray. Good reminders about the need to keep an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post, I had very similar reflections two years ago, with great advice as well! Now into my fourth year and still have the same mentality - don't know everything, but I will work hard to find the right answers guided by patience and student-centered philosophy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete